[linux-dvb] Re: KWORLD ATSC 110 TUNING

maillist maillist at boilerbots.com
Wed Mar 1 02:24:21 CET 2006

Michael Krufky wrote:

> [...]
>
> I wrote a quick howto @ http://linuxtv.org/~mkrufky/atscscan
>
>> I've downloaded the latest Mercurial tree (as of yesterday) and
>> managed to get all of the drivers loaded.
>
> Good -- You'll need this, since the driver will not go into the kernel
> until 2.6.17, the earliest.
>

>> I'm running  2.6.15.4 <http://2.6.15.4> Kernel, Knoppmyth....
>>
>> Every time I try to do an atscscan
>> /usr/local/share/dvb/scan/atsc/us-NTSC-center-frequencies-8VSB, all I
>> get is:
>> ---snip
>> WARNING: >>> tuning failed!!!
>> WARNING: filter timeout pid 0x0000
>> WARNING: filter timeout pid 0x1ffb
>
> [snip]
>
> Try another scan file... The "NTSC CENTER FREQUENCIES" file works for
> me, but the "ATSC CENTER FREQUENCIES" file does not ..... other users
> have reported the exact opposite -- it depends on your area.  I am in
> Brooklyn, New York.  Where are you located?
>

>> Does the tuning failed message mean that the tuner modules didn't
>> work, or that there was simply no signal on that channel?
>
> no signal
>

>> Here is part of my dmesg showing the v4l and dvb modules, is this the
>> way it's supposed to look?
>>
>> Linux video capture interface: v1.00
>> saa7130/34: v4l2 driver version 0.2.14 loaded
>> ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:09.0[A] -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ 18
>> saa7133[0]: found at 0000:00:09.0, rev: 240, irq: 18, latency: 64,
>> mmio: 0xdfffd800
>> saa7133[0]: subsystem: 17de:7350, board: Kworld ATSC110
>> [card=90,autodetected]
>> saa7133[0]: board init: gpio is 100
>> saa7133[0]: i2c eeprom 00: de 17 50 73 ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
>> ff ff
>> saa7133[0]: i2c eeprom 10: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
>> ff ff
>> saa7133[0]: i2c eeprom 20: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
>> ff ff
>> saa7133[0]: i2c eeprom 30: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
>> ff ff
>> saa7133[0]: i2c eeprom 40: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
>> ff ff
>> saa7133[0]: i2c eeprom 50: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
>> ff ff
>> saa7133[0]: i2c eeprom 60: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
>> ff ff
>> saa7133[0]: i2c eeprom 70: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
>> ff ff
>> tuner 1-0061: chip found @ 0xc2 (saa7133[0])
>> tuner 1-0061: type set to 68 (Philips TUV1236D ATSC/NTSC dual in)
>> saa7133[0]: registered device video0 [v4l2]
>> saa7133[0]: registered device vbi0
>> nxt200x: NXT2004 Detected
>> DVB: registering new adapter (saa7133[0]).
>> DVB: registering frontend 0 (Nextwave NXT200X VSB/QAM frontend)...
>
> Yup... Looks good, although I see that the tda9887 does not report
> anything... just as Curt says.  Maybe we need some special handling

I don't see the message that the nxt2004 firware has been loaded.  When
you initiate an atscscan for the first time this will trigger the
firmware to be loaded. Can you verify that this is happening. Otherwise
you need to use the script in the Documentation directory to retrieve
the nxt2004 firmware.

Also you are expected to have your antenna connected to the HDTV connector.

Although the tda9887 is not loading properly everything seems to work as
reported by several others already.