[linux-dvb] Re: Vmalloc leak when stopping a DVB recording wrongly

Michael Pflueger empx at gmx.de
Wed Mar 1 21:23:44 CET 2006

Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
> How did you determine that there is a leak? By looking at
> /proc/meminfo? If so, why is this sufficient to determine
> that there is a leak?

Yeah, i looked at that.
And it's called a leak, isn't it? :)

I first noticed this when my recorder wouldn't record anymore,
complaining about not enough free Vmalloc left.
(My program used the wrong way to stop the recordings..)

So, after about a month of uptime, with quite some recordings,
it took about 100MB of Vmalloc.. (i have 128MB, and after booting and
starting X etc, about 100MB are still free)

I rebooted the machine and did some testing, and came to the mentioned
conclusions.
What i didn't really mention precisely in my first post is that the
leaks add up, so you'll run out of Vmalloc sometime, as shown above.

> You just reported it as a bug ;-)

oh, nice :)

Mike