[linux-dvb] AVerMedia AverTV DVB-T USB 2.0 (A800) question

Doug Scoular dscoular at cisco.com
Sun Mar 5 10:47:42 CET 2006

Hi Gunther,

Gunther Mayer wrote:
> Hi,
> can you send me a picture of your device and further info for
> inclusion to my
> http://www.bttv-gallery.de ?

    Erm... you can find an accurate image of it on the AverMedia web site:

http://www.avermedia.com/cgi-bin/products_digitvtuner_dvbtusb2.asp?show=2#

    It is identical. If you really want a photo I can try and take one
    with a webcam (I don't have a decent camera handy).
>  Your contribution will help to improve open source support!
> Because there are many cards and variations by different
> vendors, the developers need _your_ help to get it all supported.
>
> 1st priority:
> - picture of the device, the device backside (high resolution pics if
> feasible)
> - lsusb

    My understanding is that this is already a supported device. Especially
    since it appears to work perfectly with almost everything except mythtv.

http://www.avermedia.com/docs/pdffiles/A800-README.txt
http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB_USB#AVerMedia_AverTV_A800

> further information:
> - picture from the device inside (open at your own risk)
    It's not obvious how to open this tiny device without
    ripping the rubber feet off... so I'll skip that for now.
> - if feasible "*.INF" files from the Windows Driver CD

    Since I don't run windows... I didn't keep the CD handy, however
    I can give you lsusb (although verbose hangs my NetGear 802.11b
    USB network plug).

spug store # lsusb
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 0846:4110 NetGear, Inc.
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 046d:08b1 Logitech, Inc.
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 07ca:a801 AVerMedia Technologies, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

    The firmware available on the linuxtv.org site seems to work fine
    and match my a800:

http://linuxtv.org/downloads/firmware/dvb-usb-avertv-a800-02.fw

    I even tried hardwiring the signal to 100% in the driver but I think
mythtv
    must be listening for other driver related tuning events.

static int dib3000mc_read_signal_strength(struct dvb_frontend* fe, u16
*strength)
{
        struct dib3000_state* state = fe->demodulator_priv;
        u16 val = rd(DIB3000MC_REG_SIGNAL_NOISE_LSB);
        *strength = (((val >> 6) & 0xff) << 8) + (val & 0x3f);
        *strength = 0xffff; // Doug's disgusting frig!
        deb_stat("signal: mantisse = %d, exponent = %d\n",(*strength >>
8) & 0xff, *strength & 0xff);
        return 0;
}

    Let me know if you do need any more info... but I don't think
    this is really due to a hardware variant (unless you know that
    tzap returns valid signal strength on other a800s).

    Cheers,

    Doug