[linux-dvb] MythTV DVB-T tuning [was AVerMedia AverTV DVB-T USB 2.0 (A800) question]

Doug Scoular dscoular at cisco.com
Fri Mar 10 21:44:38 CET 2006

Hi Patrick et al,

Patrick Boettcher wrote:

> I have to admit, the way the signal strength is currently calculated
> is wrong and stupid.
>
> Problem is, to have really correct RF power calculation we need more
> information on the board and floating point operations in the kernel.
>
> OTOH, I repeat myself here, I don't see the reason, why MythTV is
> taking the Signal strength into account and drops a receiver from the
> list, when it is zero. In DVB we have much easier values to see if the
> stream is maybe garbled or not and this is the UNC and BER.
>
> Maybe it is worth for mythtv to add an option to disable the
> consideration of signal strength and SNR when using it with DVB.
    I'm going to try and look through the mythtv tuning code this
    weekend and figure out what they are doing. However, there
    seems to be some finger pointing on the mythtv list at the
    Nova-T driver which I would like to confirm or refute.

    I wonder if you I could trouble you (or the other nova-t
    driver authors) to take a quick look at the following
    thread (especially the more recent posts):

    And comment on the claims that there is some problem
    with the Nova-T driver. Since tzap, mplayer, kaffeine
    etc have no problems tuning and only mythtv 0.19 exhibits
    these tuning problems, I find it hard to fault the driver. I'm
    running the linuxdvb code found in the 2.6.15-gentoo-r5
    kernel

    It would be great if we could clear up this confusion.

    Many thanks,

    Doug