[linux-dvb] Adding a NTSC switch.

VDR User user.vdr at gmail.com
Sat Mar 25 17:08:04 CET 2006

> > Also, you can use mplayer to get the firmware into
> > NTSC mode before you start VDR. The driver patch just prevents the
> firmware from
> > jumping to PAL once it gets an initial lock onto a NTSC signal.  It
> would sure
> > be nice thought to have two versions of the FW.. one that defaults
> directly to NTSC.
>
> Hm - just run
> v4lctl setnorm ntsc
> after loading the drivers.
>
> (v4lctl is shipped with the xawtv package.)
>
> Do we really need a module parameter for that?

That begs to ask, should we have to install a package (xawtv) we don't
normally use just for something that could easily be remedied with an
additional parameter?  I honestly don't see why this issue hasn't been
resolved yet.  Implementing a fix could be simple, short & sweet and can't
think of any good reason not to do it.  I've been told it's because most of
the coders are PAL and don't really care.  Hopefully that's just a rumor.

Cheers!