[linux-dvb] Re: hdtv scanning

Marco Masotti MC7953 at mclink.it
Mon Nov 6 15:13:38 CET 2006

> ==========================
> Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 13:53:27 +0100
> From: wolfgang at leila.ping.de (Wolfgang Wegner)
> To: Benny Amorsen <benny+usenet at amorsen.dk>
> Cc: linux-dvb at linuxtv.org
> Subject: Re: [linux-dvb] Re: hdtv scanning
> ==========================
>
>[...]
> As long as PCs do not have any means to synchronize frame and
> audio rate,
> they are not really suited for MPEG decoding IMHO.

I don't question that but, then, how big do you consider the time skew to have audio and video tolerably in sync? I was assuming that receiving dvb-s programs, in-software decompressed by a processor in a shared memory proposition, was deemed common now. Also, it would seem that the whole sense of this list would be substantially lessen if only intelligent card (those capable of doing 100% hardware assisted processing - not counting which areas of code functionalities would be included in such assistance ) were supposed to correctly work.