[linux-dvb] Re: 3 patches for Kernel 2.6.19-rc5

Markus Rechberger mrechberger at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 19:55:55 CET 2006


Uwe,

it's fine if you say that your patch isn't perfect, but the subject of
this mail is misleading then.

I don't know if you've been around in IRC as well during the last few
weeks, it really seems like everyone's busy with several things
already.

> "And their reference to specific cards is anything but visible and clear! And the
> reason for that is NOT, as always stated, lack of time, but simply INCOMPETENCE!"

Note you cannot simply change what's already used by other people,
proper testing requires time.. If you know a better approach post the
patch, maybe join IRC and try to discuss it..

If you have any problems with Manu, I'd really say try to work it out
with him.. I know sometimes it's difficult. If it doesn't work out
just wait for other comments he's not the only developer here and many
people have their own views on several topics.

> "NO! You are just removing DST support from the driver! Saves some memory
> for your board, but breaks support for a large number of boards."

get your patch right and if it works correctly ask again if someone
can review/comment your code, I don't know if anyone has some extra
time left to work with you on the proposed changes.. I really doubt
that..

And regarding Mauro I completly have to disagree with you. He took
over the responsibility for v4l-dvb he multiplexes the work of several
people and spends alot  time for everything. And if you start any
discussion with him he seriously points you out to technical
solutions. If something's wrong ask why it's wrong and aknowledge it -
and try to get it right by yourself (again the time reason comes in
here)

Markus


On 11/17/06, Uwe Bugla <uwe.bugla at gmx.de> wrote:
>
> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 14:12:51 -0200
> Von: Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab at infradead.org>
> An: Uwe Bugla <uwe.bugla at gmx.de>
> Betreff: Re: 3 patches for Kernel 2.6.19-rc5
>
> > Em Sex, 2006-11-17 às 16:53 +0100, Uwe Bugla escreveu:
> > > -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> >
> > > > You proved by facts that dvb-bt8xx needs dst, dst_ca and dvb_pll.
> >
> > > > Without those, several boards will stop working.
> > > YES, Mauro: SEVERAL, BUT N O T  A L L !!!!!!!
> >
> > To have a modular approach that allows unselect DST from bttv dvb
> > support is a good target to the project.
> Thanks! I´ve tried to do so, but my approach is not perfect at all. I know
> that it needs a little work.
> And exactly the same goes for the pll library. Again I state: There are
> cards in DVB support that do not need it. The pll library lists 20 chips.
> The one I have found out ensures pll reset for lgdt330x. The other 19, or at
> least a part of them (non-bt8xx boards as you already stated very
> correctly!), stand in question: Whether they are neccesary or not, and WHAT
> CARD they are serving for. Above the Pinnacle there MUST BE (This is an
> assumption!) more cards that do not need it. So I tried to beat a couple of
> flies by one simple catch. That's all I wanted to say.
> >
> > However, as I said before, your patch can't be applied, since it breaks
> > support for boards with DST.
> Sure! I only wanted to start a discussion and put my approach into practice
> as good as I am capable to do. But I stated very clearly that it is not
> perfect at all. Up to now it's just a model, a very humble approach, a kind
> of self help for one proven case, nothing else. But I am missing the
> programmers practice to get it done "perfect".
> Maybe there is someone around here to resolve that problem. So guys reading
> this: Please help if you can help!
> The next step would be: Clear up the help files that tell the users what
> specific card type needs what specific frontend. So we could low down the
> risk of doing a mismatch selection towards 0 %! Wouldn't that be nice for
> everybody??
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Mauro.
>
> Cheers
> Uwe
>
> --
> "Ein Herz für Kinder" - Ihre Spende hilft! Aktion: www.deutschlandsegelt.de
> Unser Dankeschön: Ihr Name auf dem Segel der 1. deutschen America's
> Cup-Yacht!
>
> _______________________________________________
> linux-dvb mailing list
> linux-dvb at linuxtv.org
> http://www.linuxtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/linux-dvb
>


-- 
Markus Rechberger



More information about the linux-dvb mailing list