[linux-dvb] MSI Megasky 580 using Uli m9206 - http://linuxtv.org/hg/~mkrufky/m920x

Gunther Mayer gunther.mayer at gmx.net
Wed Oct 4 21:32:24 CEST 2006

Michael Krufky wrote:
> Patrick,
> Could you look over the changesets in this tree and let me know whether
> or not you approve of this?
> Aapo,
> After you sent your patch in to the linux-dvb mailing list, Patrick had
> some comments and requests for certain things to be cleaned up.  I have
> not seen any response from you about those requests.
> In an effort to move things along, I have taken it upon myself to clean
> up your patch.  I've updated it to comply with some of the recent
> changes in the dvb-usb structure, and to use the new dvb_attach() method.
> I have also separated the qt1010 tuner code into a separate header file.
>  It has come to my attention, thanks to Markus Rechberger, that there
> may be more fixing to do with regards to the qt1010 stuff... but that
> can be done later, in a separate patch.
> I'd like it if you could test the updated tree and confirm that it works
> as expected with your device.  Please clone the following tree:
> http://linuxtv.org/hg/~mkrufky/m920x
> You will notice that I have decided to rename the driver from megasky to
> m920x -- I did this for a few reasons:
> 1) There are probably other devices out there based on the m9205, m9206
> and m9207 chipsets ... Adding support for those devices will probably be
> a matter of updating the code in this driver, in which case, the name
> 'megasky' may be inappropriate.
> 2) There is another device out there, called "MSI Megasky 580", based on
> the gl861 chipset, using the same exact usb id as your device based on
> the m9206 chipset.  This means that MSI released two completely
> different devices, each with the same exact name and USB ID!
I believe you are wrong, the USB IDs differ:
0db0:5580 = MSI Megasky 580 (with m920x)
0db0:5581 = MSI Megasky 580 (with gl861)

However, I would like to receive photos of both pcb sides for
Also you can see there are quite some 9205, 9206 and 9207 models available,
so it makes sense to name the driver uli_m9207 (or similar)