[linux-dvb] MSI Megasky 580 using Uli m9206 - http://linuxtv.org/hg/~mkrufky/m920x

Gunther Mayer gunther.mayer at gmx.net
Thu Oct 5 19:35:35 CEST 2006

Markus Rechberger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 10/4/06, Gunther Mayer <gunther.mayer at gmx.net> wrote:
>> Michael Krufky wrote:
>> > Patrick,
>> >
>> > Could you look over the changesets in this tree and let me know
>> whether
>> > or not you approve of this?
>> >
>> > Aapo,
>> >
>> > After you sent your patch in to the linux-dvb mailing list, Patrick
>> had
>> > some comments and requests for certain things to be cleaned up.  I
>> have
>> > not seen any response from you about those requests.
>> >
>> > In an effort to move things along, I have taken it upon myself to
>> clean
>> > up your patch.  I've updated it to comply with some of the recent
>> > changes in the dvb-usb structure, and to use the new dvb_attach()
>> method.
>> >
>> > I have also separated the qt1010 tuner code into a separate header
>> file.
>> >  It has come to my attention, thanks to Markus Rechberger, that there
>> > may be more fixing to do with regards to the qt1010 stuff... but that
>> > can be done later, in a separate patch.
>> >
>> > I'd like it if you could test the updated tree and confirm that it
>> works
>> > as expected with your device.  Please clone the following tree:
>> >
>> > http://linuxtv.org/hg/~mkrufky/m920x
>> >
>> > You will notice that I have decided to rename the driver from
>> megasky to
>> > m920x -- I did this for a few reasons:
>> >
>> > 1) There are probably other devices out there based on the m9205,
>> m9206
>> > and m9207 chipsets ... Adding support for those devices will
>> probably be
>> > a matter of updating the code in this driver, in which case, the name
>> > 'megasky' may be inappropriate.
>> >
>> > 2) There is another device out there, called "MSI Megasky 580",
>> based on
>> > the gl861 chipset, using the same exact usb id as your device based on
>> > the m9206 chipset.  This means that MSI released two completely
>> > different devices, each with the same exact name and USB ID!
>> >
>> I believe you are wrong, the USB IDs differ:
>> 0db0:5580 = MSI Megasky 580 (with m920x)
>> 0db0:5581 = MSI Megasky 580 (with gl861)
>>

> I just put in my one and yes it's 0x5581 for the gl861 version
>

>> However, I would like to receive photos of both pcb sides for
>> www.bttv-gallery.de
>
> Gunther, could you do us a favour and split up your site a bit..
> The index file already takes around 2.6 MB (without images) .. it's a
> browser killer at the moment..
If the system hangs this is a bug in the linux kernel.
However I admit the page takes some memory (browser consumes about 150M
and X allocates about 800M, so you probably need at least 1GB Ram).

Sorry, I have no time to split it up and I like the fact you can search
through all cards with CTRL-F.

I consider to generate a page with much smaller pictures (or b/w)
-
Gunther