[linux-dvb] Where to find specifications for user-defined descriptor tags?

Johannes Stezenbach js at linuxtv.org
Sat Oct 7 13:30:23 CEST 2006

On Fri, Oct 06, 2006, Robert Schlabbach wrote:
> From: "Johannes Stezenbach" <js at linuxtv.org>
> > On Fri, Oct 06, 2006, Robert Schlabbach wrote:
> > > Obviously the broadcasters must have released the specifications to at
> > > least some receiver makers for implementation.
> >
> > Hm, it might be possible that these descriptors are handled
> > by some MHP application only.
>
> But the stations ARD and ZDF do not offer any receivers nor MHP
> implementations, so they must rely on independent receiver makers to
> implement their user-defined descriptors. Thus, I conclude that they must
> have created some specifications. But how/where would ARD/ZDF publish such
> specifications...?

ARD and ZDF both broadcast MHP applications which run on every
receiver conforming to the MHP standard. An MHP application ("Xlet")
is written in Java and can set arbitrary section filters and
parse any user defined descriptors.

See? No public descriptor spec necessary.

IIRC one of the ARD/ZDF Xlets is an EPG-like application.

Johannes