[linux-dvb] Re: MSI Megasky 580 Firmware

Michael Krufky mkrufky at linuxtv.org
Mon Oct 9 04:54:11 CEST 2006

Matthew Haughton wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've managed to build the module for the tuner, and I believe it's
> installed correctly, and now dmesg complains about firmware. I've
> looked around on Google and in the firmware dirs on linuxtv.org but
> can't find it. Where can I get it? Can I extract it from an
> installation of the Windows drivers?

It's not in the firmware directories on linuxtv.org or thadathil.net
yet, because the driver itself has not yet been merged into the master
repository -- it is still a work in progress.

The firmware can be found in an attachment from the original email from
Aapo Tahkola containing the first patch for the megasky driver... It is
in the linux-dvb mailing list archives, but I also kept a copy of it here:

http://linuxtv.org/~mkrufky/firmware/dvb-usb-megasky-02.fw

> If you'd like me to sign up to the mailing list (instead of using
> email) for this kind of thing just let me know.

Please do sign-up to linux-dvb.  I believe that there may still be a few
bugs with the driver, and the mailing list is the best place for
discussion about it.  I don't have this hardware, myself -- I am just
trying to collect these patches and store them in a public repository so
that developers working on this driver have a central location to
generate patches from.

> Many thanks,
> Matthew Haughton

Thank you for helping to test this new driver.

> dmesg output:
>
> [17179587.756000] dvb-usb: found a 'MSI Mega Sky 580 DVB-T USB2.0' in
> cold state, will try to load a firmware
> [17179587.792000] dvb-usb: did not find the firmware file.
> (dvb-usb-megasky-02.fw) Please see linux/Documentation/dvb/ for more
> details on firmware-problems. (-2)
> [17179587.792000] dvb_usb_m920x: probe of 2-1.1.4:1.0 failed with
> error -2
> [17179587.792000] usbcore: registered new driver dvb_usb_m920x

Cheers,

Mike Krufky