Freecom DVB-T card tuning, Re: [linux-dvb] Trouble with Pinnacle310i DVB-T

Hartmut Hackmann hartmut.hackmann at t-online.de
Fri Oct 13 00:23:03 CEST 2006

Steven Toth wrote:
> Benjamin Gillam wrote:
>
>> This is exactly it! If you add 167k to 489833333 you get basically
>> 490000000 which is the frequency that works with this card! [See my
>> mail, subject "Tuning problems: Freecom card with USB ID 14aa:0226" on
>> 10/10/06 17:19 (it has USB ID 14aa:0225 when cold)]
>>
>> So how would I go about doing this manually? Because when I scan, the
>> frequencies of the other transponders are not accepted... Could it not
>> be added in the driver? Automatically add 167k to every frequency
>> received if a certain modprobe flag is on? I want it to work with my
>> current MythTV setup, which has 2 DVB-T devices already, I don't want to
>> have to add more transponders and get MythTV confused over which
>> channels are the same or different...
>>

> Just a guess, it's probably going this because Microsofts MCE doesn't
> like transport being returned on multiple offsets from the carrier, they
> prefer locking on center (even though they continue to search both sides
> even if the center locked with transport).

I heard about this...

> Typically vendors fake this out to satisfy MCE in the driver. Maybe this
> was done in the hardware instead... switching off the range/search lock
> capability. Perhaps it's driven by the eeprom.
>
> Which demodulator is it using?

If we talk about the tda10046, it is only able to lock on the offset with
support of the driver. I know how this can be done but - at least for me -
this is a significant amount of work: The tuning algorithm needs to
run in a kernel thread - very similar to the sound standard search for
the saa7134. But maybe somebody can write the skeleton for me...

Hartmut