[linux-dvb] Couple of question regarding installation

Klaus Frahm frahm at irsamc.ups-tlse.fr
Sun Oct 15 12:56:12 CEST 2006

Klaus Frahm wrote:
> Patrick Boettcher wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Sat, 14 Oct 2006, Klaus Frahm wrote:
>>
>>> -----------------------
>>> 4.) And now the worst: There is NEW bug, corruption of the mpeg flux for
>>> certain multiplexes !! I have tested this on two very different
>>> machines. This
>>> bug is new and appears in the latest drivers. I will report about this
>>> bug/problem in a different thread. For the moment being I strongly
>>> suggest
>>> that you DO NOT USE use the very latest DVB-driver from the official
>>> tree
>>> neither the driver which is actually also in 2.6.19-rc1 (=> DO NOT
>>> USE either
>>> 2.6.19-rc1), at least the official tree one week ago had this bug (I
>>> didn't
>>> verify later modifications).
>>

>> This one should be fixed since two days in the v4l-dvb HG. Can you
>> please try?
>>
>> Patrick.
>>

> Indeed, you are right. I have just tried the very latest driver for my
> two PCs (a PIII 500 Mhz and a Pentium D 2800 Ghz) and the "new" bug has
> disappeared. All multiplexes and channels work well. I suppose this
> modification will appear in 2.6.19-rc2 ?
>
> Sorry for this unnessary message (i.e. for the part 4 and the other
> thread), I tried last week and I wanted to post the bug but I didn't
> find the time and the testing of the new version was a bit cumbersome
> because in 2.6.19-rc1 the "old" driver (from August) refused to unload
> three modules with rmmod, despite the fact that otherwise it works well.
> There I had to reboot the PC to test the latest version but now it's done.
>
> I have also looked at the titles of the different threads in the
> archives to find a mentioning of this problem but I didn't find anything
> but I may very easily have overlooked a relevant post.
>

> Thanks and sorry again, Klaus.

I have justed downloaded and tested the latest Linux kernel 2.6.19-rc2
which came out this morning and here the mpeg-corruption problem is not
yet solved but I suppose this is only a matter of delay and will be
solved in the rc3 or rc4 kernel version (i.e. when the lates v4l-drivers
are integrated into the kernel).

However, there is new (tiny) compiling problem with the latest official
v4l-tree and 2.6.19-rc2 because since 2.6.19-rc2 the use of "#include
<linux/config.h>" is no longer possible. I suppose this is some kind of
long planned modification. I saw this already with two netfilter modules
which I use and that are not in the official kernel. The solution is
quite simple to comment/remove this include line in the source of the
modules and afterwards they compile fine.

Concerning the v4l-drivers this produces also a compile error due to the
file "v4l/config-compat.h" which contains the same include. Commenting
this include line in this file is sufficient and afterwards the
v4l-drivers compile fine.
Since the file v4l/config-compat.h is created by the "make *config"
command I suppose the good solution is to modify the correponding
creation-scripts taking into account that starting with 2.6.19-rc2
"config.h" no longer exists. Nothing serious but a small matter that
requires attention.

Greetings, Klaus.