[linux-dvb] nova-t 500 tuning problems

Torgeir Veimo torgeir at pobox.com
Sun Oct 29 23:59:38 CET 2006

On 29 Oct 2006, at 22:21, Jon Burgess wrote:

> To convert the channel number into a frequency, first calculate 306 +
> 8*N MHz, where N is the channel number. Then add or subtract 167 kHz
> depending on the + or - in the tables above.
>
> e.g. Crystal palace BBC(Multiplex 1) is show as "25 -"
>
> 	306 + 8 * 25 = 506MHz = 506000kHz
>
> Apply the "-" offset:
> 	506000 - 167 = 505833kHz
>
> So the frequency line for the Crystal palace transmitter is 505833.
>
> It would seem the transmitter that you have now moved to is on channel
> 25 with no offset. The re-amplification should make no difference. I
> suspect that the aerial might be taking the signal from a different
> transmitter to your old one.

Ok, it makes sense with your explanation, but I can't understand what
transmitter that would be. I was previously as postcode N16, now I'm
at N7, which is less than three miles away, and the webpage you gave
link to says there's no other transmitter (in London) sending on
channel 25. Can it be that the signal is coming from a cable provider?

It seems both xawtv and VDR tries to retune with the offset applied,
resulting in lost signal? Is this per standard or are they doing
something wrong? My freeview box manages to tune correctly. At least
I can turn this off in VDR by turning off "add transponders".

Could there be a problem in the nova-t 500 driver in that it doesn't
allow tuning without offset?

--
Torgeir Veimo
torgeir at pobox.com