[linux-dvb] How to compile the firmware into the latest driver?

Klaus Schmidinger Klaus.Schmidinger at cadsoft.de
Fri Sep 1 17:15:34 CEST 2006

Trent Piepho wrote:
> On Monday 28 August 2006 12:43, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
>> Trent Piepho wrote:
>>> Use make menuconfig or make xconfig and then set the options like you would
>>> if you were compilig the kernel.
>> Actually that's what I want to avoid.
>>
>> I want to use an automated process
>
> So want you really want to know is how to setup an automated process to
> give you a special configuration?  That's totally different than compiling
> the firmware into the driver.

Well, you're right, sorry about that.

> You could just configure once, then use hg pull ; hg update to get the
> latest source.  You should be able to build without re-configuring or even
> re-compiling all the code that didn't change.
>
> If you need some automated way to change the configuration.  I'd run make
> allmodconfig first, then edit v4l/.config with sed/perl/whatever.  You
> might be able to just use:
> echo CONFIG_DVB_AV7110_FIRMWARE=y >> v4l/.config
> echo CONFIG_DVB_AV7110_FIRMWARE_FILE="/firmware/file" >> v4l/.config
>
> You might need to mantually run make_myconfig.pl after that.

Thanks, that works for me.

Just in case somebody else is interested, here's my
complete script:

make allmodconfig
rm -f v4l/.config.new
echo CONFIG_DVB_AV7110_FIRMWARE=y                                        >> v4l/.config.new
echo CONFIG_DVB_AV7110_FIRMWARE_FILE="/home/kls/vdr/firmware/FW.current" >> v4l/.config.new
cat v4l/.config >> v4l/.config.new
mv v4l/.config.new v4l/.config
(cd v4l; scripts/make_myconfig.pl)
make

Also thanks to all others who have responded to my question.

Klaus