[linux-dvb] New VP7045 with TDA10046 instead of MT352 (was: VP7045 tuner doesn't work)

Patrick Boettcher patrick.boettcher at desy.de
Tue Sep 5 13:19:53 CEST 2006

On Tue, 5 Sep 2006, Chris Wylie wrote:

> Patrick Boettcher wrote:
> > http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB_USB#Additional_technical_information
> >
> > So, now that you know, that your device is falling into the
> > firmware-controlled devices category, I think the next step is to get the
> > firmware from the windows-driver or discuss with Twinhan, if they can send
> > it.
>
> So what you are saying is that the driver does not need to change, it
> just needs to download different firmware?

Exactly.

> If we now have two possible firmwares, how might the driver distinguish
> between devices so that it downloads the correct one?

I even think, that is only one firmware which is doing the detection on
its own. But to be sure we need the usblogs or confirmation from Twinhan.

In case it is not, you can try lsusb -v (without having a driver loaded
and after a fresh plugin (cold state)) and compare the two
device-descriptions. This is the only information available to the driver
to distinguish the different devices - if they are the same, the firmware
is the same.

Patrick.

  Mail: patrick.boettcher at desy.de