[linux-dvb] problems capturing analog and digital at the same time with lifeview trio

Nico Sabbi nicola_sabbi at fastwebnet.it
Wed Sep 6 23:34:46 CEST 2006

Hartmut Hackmann wrote:

> So MythTV doesn't allow to choose the video format?
> A solution might be to suppress the planar formats on hybrid and duo
> cards.
> The mechanism normally is that the application asks the driver which
> formats
> it supports (VIDIOC_G_FMT). We could reduce the list either
> - with an insmod option
> - or simply by the fact that the card supports MPEG (DVB) streaming.
> But this would reduce the capabilities of the card and i don't know
> whether
> there are cases where only planar formats work, either due to the
> application
> or due to the overlay mechanism.
>
> Can anybody comment on this?
>
> Best regards
>    Hartmut

I think that removing some sample formats tout-court is a bad idea, because
resampling from yuy2 to yv12 for compressing to mpeg* is very likely to
reduce
quality and introduce slowdowns; if it were possible to remove planar
formats
only when a dvb capture is running the situation would be more reasonable;
anyway, training the user about what he can and should do is is best
option IMO.

    Nico