[linux-dvb] problems with alsa and compiling

Michael Krufky mkrufky at linuxtv.org
Fri Sep 8 17:12:54 CEST 2006

wouter lists wrote:
> All,
>
> In order to get my capturecard and soundcard working, I need the
> latest version of alsa together with the linux-dvb repository.
>
> I installed the latest alsa-drivers (1.0.12) from source. Afterwards I
> compiled the linux-dvb stuff.
>
> My capturecard is saa7134-based. When I try to load the module
> saa7134-alsa, I get the following errors;
> saa7134_alsa: disagrees about version of symbol snd_ctl_add
> saa7134_alsa: Unknown symbol snd_ctl_add
> saa7134_alsa: disagrees about version of symbol snd_pcm_new
> saa7134_alsa: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_new
> saa7134_alsa: disagrees about version of symbol snd_card_register
> saa7134_alsa: Unknown symbol snd_card_register
> saa7134_alsa: disagrees about version of symbol snd_card_free
> saa7134_alsa: Unknown symbol snd_card_free
> saa7134_alsa: disagrees about version of symbol snd_pcm_stop
> saa7134_alsa: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_stop
> saa7134_alsa: disagrees about version of symbol snd_ctl_new1
> saa7134_alsa: Unknown symbol snd_ctl_new1
> saa7134_alsa: disagrees about version of symbol snd_card_new
> saa7134_alsa: Unknown symbol snd_card_new
> saa7134_alsa: disagrees about version of symbol snd_pcm_lib_ioctl
> saa7134_alsa: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_lib_ioctl
> saa7134_alsa: disagrees about version of symbol snd_pcm_set_ops
> saa7134_alsa: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_set_ops
> saa7134_alsa: disagrees about version of symbol
> snd_pcm_hw_constraint_integer
> saa7134_alsa: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_hw_constraint_integer
> saa7134_alsa: disagrees about version of symbol snd_pcm_period_elapsed
> saa7134_alsa: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_period_elapsed
>
> If I don't update alsa, I don't get these errors.
>
> I'm missing something, but I have no idea what.

The v4l-dvb tree has kernel backwards compatability.

Since you've also installed the alsa development tree, this breaks the
backwards compat tests inside the v4l-dvb tree.

You'll have to play around with the kernel version #ifdef's and stuff in
compat.h if you want this combination to work.

Good luck,
--
Michael Krufky