[linux-dvb] modprobing causes double the devices to be created

Alan Chandler alan at chandlerfamily.org.uk
Thu Sep 14 14:35:03 CEST 2006

As I believed my usb stick was giving the inverse of its signal strength, I
thought I would try and modify the code (dtt200u-fe.c) to invert it.  As I
am doing this remotely through ssh I don't have physical access to the
devices.

However, before installing the revised module, I rmmod  dvb-usb-dtt200u,
dvb-usb and dvb-core.  At that point all my /dev/dvb/adapterN directories
had dissappeared.

After installing the recompiled module, I then modprobed them back in the
reverse order, checking for the existance of /dev/dvb after each step.

Nothing appeared until I modprobed dvb-usb-dtt200u at which point, with two
sticks connected I get FOUR /dev/dvb/adapterN directores.  The devices in
each of these directories ALL have different minor id numbers.

It seems that these extra devices are interacting in some way, as if I try
to run tzap I get lots of usb protocol errors.

Anyone any idea where this problem stems from? Is there some bug in the dvb
handling code?

 --
Alan Chandler
alan at chandlerfamily.org.uk
(via webmail - normally means I am not at my computer)