[linux-dvb] Reception problems on a single multiplex (Nova-S-Plus)

Steve Hill steve at nexusuk.org
Sat Sep 16 16:13:16 CEST 2006

I've recently got a Hauppauge Nova-S-Plus.  The dish is pointing at Astra
28.2E and I'm getting all but one of the multiplexes without any problems.
The multiplex I'm having problems with is 10.847GHz vertical, which
carries "BBC 1 East (W)", "BBC 1 CI" and "BBC HD".  Using szap to tune to
this multiplex shows a status of "1e" instead of the usual "1f" and often
a non-zero bit error rate:

status 1e | signal f000 | snr ffdc | ber 00000b5e | unc 00000b5e |
FE_HAS_LOCK

I'm a bit confused by the meaning of the bits - the one that's missing
appears to be FE_HAS_SIGNAL.  How can you have the other bits set if the
card thinks there is no signal?  (It should be noted that I can record the
transport stream, complete with errors).

What is the likely reason why this would affect just one multiplex?  Other
multiplexes on neighbouring frequencies and the same polarisation are
fine (e.g. 10.817GHz vertical) and also showing the same signal strength.

--

  - Steve