[linux-dvb] Preliminary support of Hauppauge Nova-T 500 Dual(take2)

Steven Toth stoth at hauppauge.com
Tue Sep 19 22:51:44 CEST 2006

>> In the windows driver we leave the LNA off at all times, but have a registry
>> override to allow users to enable it. It's a single LNA for both tuners -
>> hence, it has its problems.
>>
>> Switching the LNA dynamically in a TV app isn't something the API allows. How
>> about a module load param?
>>

> As updating an LNA (or something else) is very board specific, I put
> callback "update_lna" in dib3000mc_config. I will call this after starting
> the AGCs to see if the LNA has to be turned on or not (taking the agc
> response into account). For that I would like to know, what is the gain of
> the LNA when turned on? (So that I can adjust the thresholds when to turn
> on or off). Maybe we need to make an average of both channels, not that we
> kill one channel by only taking the other one into account.
>
> Or is a module_parameter enough? (I don't like this, because the majority
> of users does not even now what is a module, which is good).

Image a user that lives somewhere between two broadcast towers. They
receive some muxes at fairly weak levels and some very strong
(environment depending). We never found a good automatic solution to
deal with that within the (windows) driver.

If the driver can be made to work reliably for all users in Linux under
all circumstances then that's ideal. :)

Otherwise, the user may need some way to dictate LNA behavior.

Steve