[linux-dvb] cx88 pci_abort messages

Scott list-dvb at bluecamel.eml.cc
Wed Sep 20 02:07:47 CEST 2006

On Sep 19, 2006, at 7:12 PM, Peter Fern wrote:

> Scott wrote:
>> Greets.
>>
>> I have a FusionHDTV5 Gold RT running under Gentoo and vanilla kernel
>> 2.6.18-rc7. The drivers load and I can view OTA ATSC streams using
>> mplayer.
>>
>> I'm seeing the following message log:
>>
>>     cx88[0]: irq mpeg  [0x80000] pci_abort*
>>     cx88[0]/2: general errors: 0x00080000
>>
>> What can cause these messages? Are the safe to ignore? Some output
>> from my logs and lspci:
>
> These are generally caused by another device stealing the IRQ from the
> tuner card, and this is likely to cause corruption in your MPEG
> stream.
> To find out what devices the card is sharing an interrupt with, `cat
> /proc/interrupts`.  Shuffle the card around until it's not sharing any
> more, or
> until it's sharing with a device that has sensible interrupt handling.

Okay, this is kind of what I expected. My problem is the only pci
slot with a dedicated irq on the asus p5b is next to the pcie x16
slot and is being blocked by a large heat sink on my video card. You
can only plan for so much when building a pc... (I knew the pci slot
would be blocked but did not realize it would be the only slot with a
dedicated irq!)

Currently the dvb board is sharing an irq with the onboard audio.
Since the audio isn't in use when I'm not watching any content this
should be okay. The other option is to share it with the some usb
devices. I also have set elevator=cfq. Maybe this is the real cause
of my problems?

Any suggestions on how to find out which device is hogging the irqs?
I've been looking through kernel docs but most of it is api info. :)

Appreciate the help!

--
Scott