[linux-dvb] V4L vs DVB [bcc][faked-from][heur][spam-bayes]

Steven Toth stoth at hauppauge.com
Wed Sep 20 14:26:01 CEST 2006

> stream. Doesn't this mean that the quality of the resultant image is
> dependant upon the quality of the card manufacturer components (i.e.
> cheap units are likely to give poor perfomance) whereas with DVB
> devices a cheap device should give identical results to a higher
> quality unit (assuming a decent tuner lock) as in both
If you're writing a driver and it's for a DVB or ATSC product then
you've come to the right place.

Last I checked, VDR did not use V4L, it's a DVB (and maybe ATSC) DVR
application.

"Assuming a decent tuner lock", your basic assumption is true but the
subject runs much deeper than that.

Which product are you planning to work on? Which components? Perhaps
someone is already working on it, or we already have drivers for parts
of it.

Regards,

Steve