[linux-dvb] cx88 pci_abort messages

Scott list-dvb at bluecamel.eml.cc
Thu Sep 21 02:15:54 CEST 2006

On Sep 19, 2006, at 7:12 PM, Peter Fern wrote:
> Scott wrote:
>> I have a FusionHDTV5 Gold RT running under Gentoo and vanilla kernel
>> 2.6.18-rc7. The drivers load and I can view OTA ATSC streams using
>> mplayer.
>>
>> I'm seeing the following message log:
>>
>>     cx88[0]: irq mpeg  [0x80000] pci_abort*
>>     cx88[0]/2: general errors: 0x00080000
>>
>> What can cause these messages? Are the safe to ignore? Some output
>> from my logs and lspci:
>
> These are generally caused by another device stealing the IRQ from the
> tuner card, and this is likely to cause corruption in your MPEG
> stream.
> To find out what devices the card is sharing an interrupt with, `cat
> /proc/interrupts`.  Shuffle the card around until it's not sharing any
> more, or
> until it's sharing with a device that has sensible interrupt handling.

I'm continuing to troubleshoot the above problem. Since I was seeing
this under 2.6.18-r7 and 2.6.17-r8-gentoo (uses a slightly older
version of linux-dvb and cx88 driver) I've moved back to using the
2.6.17-r8-gentoo kernel. That of course didn't make to much of a
difference, I didn't expect it to.

As suggested, I moved the card to another PCI slot. Now, instead of
sharing an IRQ with the onboard Intel HDA audio, the card shares an
IRQ with two USB controllers. That shouldn't be to bad. The only
items on the USB bus are an LCD/IR imon receiver and other unused hub
devices. But I still see the pci_abort messages while using the
FusionHDTV5 Gold RT card to capture capture or view video. This is
seen using either MythTV or mplayer.

So I'm wondering, what _else_ besides a device hogging the PCI bus
might cause the above errors? I did find that by playing around in
bios and setting my DDR2 667 memory to DDR2 533 and changing the
default PCI bus latency from 64 to 32 seemed to help things out
greatly. I still see the errors, but I don't see dozens of errors
every few seconds now.

Any suggestions? Appreciate all the help!

--
Scott