[linux-dvb] V4L vs DVB

Markus Rechberger mrechberger at gmail.com
Sun Sep 24 11:46:38 CEST 2006

Hi,

On 9/20/06, Steven Toth <stoth at hauppauge.com> wrote:

> >> "Assuming a decent tuner lock", your basic assumption is true
> >> but the subject runs much deeper than that.
> >>

> > Always, but at last my basic understanding appears to be correct. Can a
> V4L device provide MPEG streams like a DVB device? How does it provide EPG
> type info?
> >

> It has support for MPEG2 hardware encoders (typically the cx23416) which
> is found on many products. It doesn't support EPG or data services in
> the way that the DVB API does.
>
> Many products now have both analog (v4l) and digital (dvb) capabilities.
> In this case, that usually means making changes to the DVB project and
> the V4L project. Many of the project members watch both mailing lists.
> The source code for both projects was recently merged ans is now
> considered the v4l-dvb tree (found at www.linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb).
>
> It's typical to discuss DVB/ATSC development issues here, and analog tv
> or encoder issues on the v4l mailing list.
> >> Which product are you planning to work on? Which components?
> >> Perhaps someone is already working on it, or we already have
> >> drivers for parts of it.
> >>

> > It's unbranded but carries a product code of
> >     "VS-DVBT 355U"
> >
> > Upon plugging the device, lsusb reports the device as
> >     "Bus 1 Device 6: ID eb1a:e357 eMPIA Technology, Inc."
> >
> > I've recently discovered that it contains a eMPIA 2870 device. As for any
> others I'll discover tonight when I get home from work and open it up ...

there's already some code for this one in my repository
http://linuxtv.org/hg/~mrechberger/v4l-dvb (async development since
the end of january)
http://linuxtv.org/hg/~mrechberger/v4l-dvb-merge (trying to merge my
code with the latest repository)

devices I saw with this usbid use a QT1010 tuner which aren't
supported at the moment. This is the only outstanding part to support
that device actually.
I have hardcoded a channel at the moment, DVB-T already works fine but
it's not possible to tune to a custom frequency...

Markus