[linux-dvb] Re: DVB-S on quad TV tuner card from Medion PC MD8800

Hartmut Hackmann hartmut.hackmann at t-online.de
Thu Sep 28 23:19:27 CEST 2006

Hi,

Michael Krufky wrote:
> Hartmut Hackmann wrote:
>
>>There is a driver for the DVB-S channel decoder of this
>>card available now. The problem is: how to select the frontends.
>

> Hello Hartmut,
>
> I changed the list cc from v4l to dvb, as that would be more appropriate.
>
> I'm just curious... Will saa713x with multiple frontends be able to use
> both frontends at once?  Or just one at a time?  (I would assume the latter)
>
> In the case of the cx2388x cards, Hauppauge has an HVR3000 card that has
> both DVB-T and DVB-S demods on it.  Only one can be used at a time, as
> they would share a single transport to move the ts data.
>
> Steve Toth has been working on the 8802-mpeg port functionality of the
> cx88 driver, and he has created this device_acquire method, that allows
> the driver to select which frontend has access to a bus at any given moment.
>
> You might want to take a look at his tree for ideas:
>
> http://linuxtv.org/hg/~stoth/hvr1300-final?cmd=changeset;node=4b846f1d939b;style=gitweb
>
> This tree doesnt yet deal with multiple DVB frontends, but it does deal
> with MPEG Encoder vs. DVB-T demod.  I believe the multiple frontend
> support is coming next, but I havent asked him about that.
>
> Of course, if the saa713x will allow both demods to function
> simultaneously, then the suggestion above will not apply at all.
>
> I'm just shooting ideas around, and asking for my curiousity... Dont
> feel pressured to act on this immediately.  ;-)

Thanks that you pointed me to this, i will have a look. Your assumption
is right, the saa173x have only 1 TS interface, so both decoders can't
be active simultanously.
The easiest solution is to select the demodulator with an insmod option,
it can be done with a very simple hack.

Best regards
  Hartmut