[linux-dvb] Nova-T 500 windows driver update fixes reception problems

Matt Doran matt.doran at papercut.biz
Tue Apr 10 06:45:31 CEST 2007

Hi all,

I've been using the Nova-T 500 PCI card and I'm using the Ubuntu 2.6.20
kernel.   I and others in Melbourne, Australia have been having
reception problems on a couple of channels.   The problem is not related
to signal strength/quality, but region specific.   The Windows Media
Center community in Australia were also having the same reception
problems (see very long thread
<http://www.xpmediacentre.com.au/community/tuners-mce/12244-hauppage-nova-t-500-driver-bug-20.html#post120121>).
This community worked with the Australian distributer (New Magic), who
worked closely with Hauppauge to debug/fix the problem.  After a couple
of months they got a fix.

Apparently the problem was with the dib0700 chipset.  So this might
affect more than just this card.  Here's the quote:

    "For those interested the issue actually had nothing to do with
    Hauppauge, but rather was a chipset issue which we have identified
    in other tuner and set-top products. Because the issue is unique to
    only small parts of Australia, many users and manufacturers write
    the symptoms off as a reception problem."

The update hasn't been released publicly yet, but is available upon
request from New Magic (see note on this page
<http://www.newmagic.com.au/support/Hauppauge_Vista_Drivers.html>).  Any
one interested can also email me off list, and I'd be happy to send it
through.  The Windows instructions for installing the fix are:

    * Install the latest drivers from here:
      http://www.newmagic.com.au/support/Hauppauge_Vista_Drivers.html
    * Copy the updated file "hcw99bda.sys" into the
      C:\windows\system32\drivers into the driver directory.
    * Restart the system.

Hopefully this is just a firmware fix, or something easy to reverse
engineer.  ;)

Anyone know if "hcw99bda.sys" contains firmware?  And how to extract it?

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Regards,
Matt Doran