[linux-dvb] Nova-T 500 windows driver update fixes reception problems

Matt Doran matt.doran at papercut.biz
Tue Apr 10 06:45:31 CEST 2007

Hi all,

I've been using the Nova-T 500 PCI card and I'm using the Ubuntu 2.6.20
kernel.   I and others in Melbourne, Australia have been having
reception problems on a couple of channels.   The problem is not related
to signal strength/quality, but region specific.   The Windows Media
Center community in Australia were also having the same reception
problems (see very long thread
This community worked with the Australian distributer (New Magic), who
worked closely with Hauppauge to debug/fix the problem.  After a couple
of months they got a fix.

Apparently the problem was with the dib0700 chipset.  So this might
affect more than just this card.  Here's the quote:

    "For those interested the issue actually had nothing to do with
    Hauppauge, but rather was a chipset issue which we have identified
    in other tuner and set-top products. Because the issue is unique to
    only small parts of Australia, many users and manufacturers write
    the symptoms off as a reception problem."

The update hasn't been released publicly yet, but is available upon
request from New Magic (see note on this page
<http://www.newmagic.com.au/support/Hauppauge_Vista_Drivers.html>).  Any
one interested can also email me off list, and I'd be happy to send it
through.  The Windows instructions for installing the fix are:

    * Install the latest drivers from here:
    * Copy the updated file "hcw99bda.sys" into the
      C:\windows\system32\drivers into the driver directory.
    * Restart the system.

Hopefully this is just a firmware fix, or something easy to reverse
engineer.  ;)

Anyone know if "hcw99bda.sys" contains firmware?  And how to extract it?

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Matt Doran