[linux-dvb] Afatech af9005 unstable reception [added: mt2060 gain control?]

P. van Gaans w3ird_n3rd at gmx.net
Mon Apr 16 05:33:07 CEST 2007

Luca Olivetti wrote:
> En/na P. van Gaans ha escrit:
>
> [please, keep this on list, and avoid top posting, I hate it and I was
> tempted to ignore your message ]
>
>> Thanks, I tried but I get a load of compilation errors. I don't know
>> if I have a mt2060.
>

> Look in the syslog, you should see an "MT2060: successfully identified"
> or if you have a qt1010 "Quantek QT1010 successfully identified.".
>
>> I don't really know what I'm doing wrong, I tried
>

> Oop, there's an error there. In the second block between #if 0...#endif
> there's a "if (strong) {" line, change that to "if (state->strong) {"
>
>> debugging it but my little PHP knowledge is not enough to debug C
>> code. I just uncommented everything that said something about the
>> strong signal, maybe I uncommented too much?
>

> there are just two sections of code in function af9005_fe_read_status
> enclosed in "#if 0" just change that to "#if 1".
>
> To the rest of the list, maybe there should be a standardized way to
> adjust tuner gain in dvb_tuner_ops or is the mt2060 the only tuner with
> adjustable gain (even if in its current incarnation mt2060.c doesn't do
> it)?
>
> Bye

Sorry, I forgot to add the linux-dvb address. But that should be in the
reply-to field anyway imho, or available as a setting. I simply forgot
to add.

What, top-posting? Wikipedia is helpful.. I didn't know, I prefer
top-posting, saves scrollingtime. In fact I was wondering why you were
bottom-posting. I'm used to forums, not to mailinglists. On forums you
decide yourself if you want to see everything top or bottomposted..
Seriously I didn't know it was a crime!

So I understand I have to change the 0 into a 1 and change state->strong
to temp? Not remove the # for if? If that's all correct I guess it
didn't really help. Maybe you just get what you pay for then.. On other
receivers I get signals from 60 kilometers away, on the afatach vitually
nothing (closest transmitter is 27 kilometer). Are you supposed to tape
the antenna to the transmitter?

But wait.. *looks at laptop*, suddenly the afatech stick reads the
channels from Wavre, Belgium. That's over 80 kilometers away and a
pretty weak transmitter. The much stronger signal from Schoten (35
kilometers or so) is blissfully ignored. The image contains some blocks
but it's better than the radio I had earlier.

Strange stuff..