[linux-dvb] Problems with KNC1 DVB-C

Rudy Zijlstra rudy at grumpydevil.homelinux.org
Mon Apr 30 11:42:56 CEST 2007

e9hack wrote:
> Oliver Endriss wrote:
>
>> Apparently it works in polling mode, but not in interrupt mode. Why?
>>
>> Can someone else confirm problems with this card type
>> (Terratec Cinergy 1200 DVB-C, sub-system 0x153b:0x1156)?
>>
>> Now I consider the following options:
>> - Add a module parameter to disable irq mode.
>> - Turn off irq mode for card type 0x153b:0x1156.
>> - Turn off irq mode for the TDA10021 frontend.
>> - Revert to polling mode for all cards.
>> :-(
>>
>> Any opinions?
>>

> The windows driver uses a reduced i2c bit rate. I've reduced the bit rate with the patch for the new DVB-C cards.
> Possible, it does solve the problem.
>
> - Hartmut

Original start configuration:

dual PIII with KNC-1, as well as 2 DVB-S cards, running 2.6.19.1
Was running with mild problems: the CAM on the KNC-1 was loosing sync.

P4 with Terratec Synergy, mostly being used for TS recordings. No
apparent problems, running older kernel.

Then i got problems with the KNC-1, in that suddenly i could still tune
but no longer got any data off the card.

Action 1: swap KNC-1 and Terratec.
Result 1: PIII system still giving same problems
P4 system with KNC-1 doing well.

Action2:
thinking i was facing some weird application problem, i took an older
Mythtv, build that on the P4 as a separate test system for DVB-C and
slowly upgraded to most recent SVN head.
Result2:
no problem found

Action3:
upgrade the PIII to 2.6.21.1
Result3:
The DVB-S cards work quit well (although diseqc seems to give
intermitent problems), Terratec lost interupts, showing in i2c problems
(see this thread).

Action4:
Implement patch from Oliver Endriss.
Result4:
On the dual PIII i2c works again, tuning works but i cannot get any data
from the card......

Action5:
upgrade the P4 to unpatched 2.6.21.1
Result5:
The P4 with the KNC-1 works without problems.

At request i am willing to swap the Terratec and the KNC-1 to double
verify the terratec also behaves well in the P4 with unpatched 2.6.21.1

Provisional conclusion:
The dual PIII is having interupt problems, most likely at least one PCI
slot is no longer working correctly on interrupt level.
I am saying "at least one PCI" as i suspect the intermittent diseqc
problems can also be caused by missing interupts.

Next action not yet known....

If anyone has a suggestion on how to test for problems on the other PCI
slots, i'd be happy to know that.

Cheers,

Rudy