[linux-dvb] Help with writing a DVB driver

Thomas Gambier gambier at enst.fr
Thu Aug 2 16:08:16 CEST 2007

On 02/08/07, Markus Rechberger <mrechberger at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi to me it doesn't seem to be clear if you understood the difference
> between v4l and dvb?
> Video4linux is usually used for analogue TV
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analog_television)
> dvb for digital transmitted TV.
> So are you trying to write a driver for the analogue or the digital part?
> There's nothing wrong to use the v4l API for analogue TV.

 I'm trying to write a driver for the digital part, definitely. But I was
wondering if the device /dev/dvb/adapter0/video0 would be able to deal with
all the possibilities of a video decoder because in the DVB API, we can see
(at the beginning of the Chapter 4):
"    Note that the DVB video device only controls decoding of the MPEG video
stream,
not its presentation on the TV or computer screen. On PCs this is typically
handled
by an associated video4linux device, e.g. /dev/video, which allows scaling
and
defining output windows.    "

I'm not sure I'm clear enough...

--