[linux-dvb] Suse 10.2 and avermedia 771

Travel Factory S.r.l. mc8647tv at mclink.it
Thu Aug 2 23:55:27 CEST 2007

A couple of weeks ago I had the worst idea of my life: updating my working video server to openSuse 10.2.....

I have an AverMedia dvb-t 771 and a dvb-s Nexus. The "server" is a 266mhz, 256mb ram pizza-box ibm network station, hacked to hold a notebook harddisk...

(I spent 2 weeks trying various configurations and I describe the actual, last situation I have...)

Problem 1:
AverMedia 771 doesn't tune anymore. I needed to specify the dvb-bt8xx as the kernel driver but "scan" gets no signal... I read that 771 cards stops working with no apparent reason and no log messages....

Problem 2:
Nexus: recognized by Suse, kernel module dvb_ttpci and stv0299.... at boot time the card is recognized, modules loaded but the log reports that it was not possible to load the firmware since it was not found in the appropriate directory... Of course it is present.... I just login as root, rmmod dvb_ttpci, modprobe dvb_ttpci and firmware is loaded, the card works and "scan" works....
The problem is probably due to some enviromental path not present during boot time.... or some other strange coincidence....

Any clue ?

Francesco