[linux-dvb] source example for non-pci/non-usb dvb card

MikeW mw_phil at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Aug 13 14:04:11 CEST 2007

Gery <gxkahn <at> gmail.com> writes:

> i am trying to implement dvb-s card which uses only i2c and neither based pci,
> nor usb. To make it clear it is based on proprietary bus, where only management
> by i2c.
> is there an example of such card in dvb or other open source project?

If you are using the standard readb()/writeb() etc. accessor functions
to talk to your device memory I can't see that there's much if any difference
between that and talking to a PCI device.

PCI hardware IIRC spots the address range that corresponds to the bus and
does the required transfers, but if it's just 'standard' device memory
things should pretty much work as-is - apart from not getting loaded by
the PCI probe framework and a few details of that sort.

If your device chip types are already supported, the existing drivers
should be 99% of what you need, the only difference being they will
need loading by a separate method from a PCI device.

Or am I forgetting something ?

Regards,
MikeW