[linux-dvb] Problem with Afatech 9016 device in "Typhoon Movie Stick"

Antti Palosaari crope at iki.fi
Sat Dec 1 17:19:46 CET 2007

Thorsten Jordan wrote:
> Antti Palosaari wrote:
>> Thorsten Jordan wrote:
>
>> Requires same kernel version as current v4l-master (newer than 2.6.18
>> ?). Tree is http://linuxtv.org/hg/~anttip/af9015/ and firmware from
>> http://otit.fi/~crope/v4l-dvb/af9015/ .
> i tried with kernel 2.6.22.5 and took the newest firmware 4.95 (?) from
> the site, placed it in /lib/firmware.
> It worked right away, great!!!
> No more visible artifacts even with the passive small antenna that came
> with the card. You are my hero of the day for sure! Thank you very much
> for the help!
> And the use count bug seems fixed in your driver too. Congrats!

Nice to know :) Not too many reports got...

> Do you have an idea when this will be merged upstream to official linux
> kernel?

Don't know, there is also Manu working with his driver based on Afa's
driver.

 > I guess the firmware is not GPL and thus must be downloaded
> manually by every user?

Thats normal way how it is done in Linux world. There is few things I
can imagine, like;
* newer firmware is possible to deliver without need of new kernel
* different firmwares used by almost same device, but still needed
different firmware for small changes in hw or like that
* license

>> I will check if it is easy to implement those missing status
>> informations and try to add...
> that would be the extra bonus... thumbs up!

regards
Antti

--
http://palosaari.fi/