[linux-dvb] Pinnacle PCTV Sat HDTV Pro USB (452e) packet loss

Manu Abraham abraham.manu at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 20:43:30 CET 2007


John Goacher wrote:
> Manu Abraham wrote:
> 
>> John Goacher wrote:
>>> Tony Grant wrote:
>>>
>>>> Le vendredi 14 décembre 2007 à 13:49 +0000, John Goacher a écrit :
>>>>
>>>>> Your success with Das Erste prompted me to
>>>>> temporarily re-align my dish (Sky minidish) to point to 19.2E to see if
>>>>> I could duplicate your results. The good news is that I get a
>>>>> perfect recording from Das Erste. I recorded about 15 minutes of data,
>>>>> then
>>>>> ran it through TSReader Lite to check for errors. There were absolutely
>>>>> no
>>>>> errors of any kind indicated ! I double checked this by viewing the
>>>>> recording in DVBViewer Pro under XP.
>>>>>
>>>>> This is interesting because the signal strength from Das Erste (as
>>>>> displayed
>>>>> by DVBViewer Pro under Windows XP) is much lower than I'm getting from
>>>>> Astra
>>>>> 28.2E (I'm based in the London area). Das Erste displays a signal
>>>>> strength
>>>>> reading
>>>>> of 41%, whereas the BBC channels at 28.2E (on which I'me seeing high
>>>>> error
>>>>> rates)
>>>>> show signal strengths of around 65%. I think this probably rules out
>>>>> signal
>>>>> quality as
>>>>> the issue, and suggests the problem is somehow related to the channel
>>>>> parameters.
>>>> I have issues with 28.2E compared to 19.2E and always have had. 19.2
>>>> just works whereas 28.2 is much more finicky. Last week a big storm
>>>> cloud over the Pyreneans blocked all signal for about 10 minutes - BBC2
>>>> just stopped and it is one of the better signals. During thunder storms
>>>> on 19.2 you have some artifacts but I have never lost the carrier.
>>>>
>>> Hi Tony,
>>>
>>> I take your point, but the fact that I can receive the 28.2E channels
>>> perfectly with the PCTV under Windows XP, but not under linux (with the 
>>> same
>>> hardware and feed), strongly suggests the problem is not signal quality.
>>> Similarly, the fact that I can receive Das Erste perfectly under linux,
>>> despite the signal from 19.2E being much weaker at my location, also
>>> suggests this.
>>>
>> When i looked at the pctv452 driver it was based on a older stb0899 driver 
>> snapshot.
>> It still is based on the same ? There were many issues fixed in newer 
>> changesets, so
>> i don't know whether the issue that you see is really a stb0899 driver 
>> issue which has
>> been fixed already or maybe that the pctv device requires some specific 
>> settings ? I
>> don't know.. I don't have much info on this device.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Manu
>>
> 
> Hi Manu,
> 
> I was using an older snapshot, but I've now rebuilt and re-installed the 
> driver following the instructions in the wiki entry at 
> http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Pinnacle_PCTV_Sat_HDTV_Pro_USB_%28452e%29
> 
> I'm using what I believe to be the latest snapshot of STB0899 which is 
> revision 5882 at http://linuxtv.org/hg/~manu/stb0899/rev/5b19ac1cddb5
> 
> Unfortunately, I still get the packet loss problem with this snapshot.


There can be 2 possibilities
* some pctv452 specific setting required, due to the hardware difference
* some unknown bug that gets explicitly noticed in a specific combination

In either case, can you please put up some high resolution pictures of your 
device up some place (since i don't have much of an understanding about 
your hardware configuration, hoping that the pictures might yield some clues) ?

Regards,
Manu




More information about the linux-dvb mailing list