[linux-dvb] WinTV-CI from Hauppauge

Steven Toth stoth at linuxtv.org
Thu Dec 20 20:20:46 CET 2007

Luc Brosens wrote:
> all,
>
> so I got the WinTV-CI from Hauppauge.  Nice little thing, powered through the USB(2)-port.
> On the box, is says "Common-Interface extension over USB".

Cool.

> There's software with it, but of course only XP and Vista... which are out of the question ;-)
>
> I'm contacting Hauppauge's tech support for specs, let's hope they're responsive.

They won't be able to help, I can - but not for a few weeks.

I'm expecting to release public USB protocol information during Jan 08
which would allow a GPL driver to be written. Right now I have nothing
to give you.

If you feel adventurous, feel free to start now by reverse engineering
the protocol with a windows software USB sniffer, it won't be wasted
work. The device is Cypress FX2 based (which Linux has lots of examples
for) and it loads custom firmware (which Linux has lots of examples of)
apart from that I think the protocol is very simple.

How to integrate it with the kernel s/w demux would be an interesting
debate.

Let me know if I can help.

Regards,

- Steve