[linux-dvb] kernel bug in 2.6.23.1-49.fc8 when switching DVB outputs

thomas schorpp thomas.schorpp at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 24 07:56:00 CET 2007

Simon Baxter wrote:
> Can't see any other reference to this yet, but I keep getting a kernel bug
> and lock up when switching between vdr-xine output device and the output of
> my TT-2300C
>
> ------------[ cut here ]------------
> kernel BUG at mm/vmalloc.c:348!
> invalid opcode: 0000 [#1] SMP

check for
corrupt root fs (run fsck.ext3 -y)
hdd/controller/ide-udma-cable damage (swap partition, check with
smartmontools (run smartctl -a/ -t long) + hdparm (DMA) + lspci (PERR))
right platform for kernel image
outdated gcc version for kernel build
clean rebuild of kernel
latest stable kernel.org version
RAM/MB damage (use a knoppix boot and run memtest86)
BIOS RAM and PCI latency settings (use failsafe settings)

possible sw reason:
invalid function pointer due to kernel mem corruption,
but unlikely in vmalloc.c

but this looks like a hardware issue.

tom