[linux-dvb] [RFC] Should a DVB frontend report the board name?

Christophe Thommeret hftom at free.fr
Tue Feb 6 03:37:05 CET 2007

Le mardi 06 février 2007 01:34, Markus Rechberger a écrit :

> > The name of a frontend should be that of the frontend itself and not
> > the board, if it reports the board name then it is wrong, since the
> > board is not the frontend.
>
> not that this is very important but I've seen that some people were
> confused because of displaying the name of the demodulator, they
> stated out that they own product xy and not a ZL10353, MT352, etc.

Indeed, i think that for a user
"TerraTec/qanu USB2.0 Highspeed DVB-T Receiver"
makes more sense than
"ST STV0299 DVB-S"
but in the latter case, the board name
"Philips Semiconductors SAA7146 (rev 01)"
is also somewhat "mysterious" when the user would expect
"WinTV Nova CI"
;)

--
Christophe Thommeret