[linux-dvb] No IR-remote events with new budget_ci?

David Härdeman david at hardeman.nu
Tue Feb 13 01:43:44 CET 2007

On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 11:51:26PM +0200, Jouni wrote:

>Thanks for the tip! Now, by actually using 'ir_debug' ;) , I am able to
>get dmesgs showing bunch of "budget_ci: received byte 0x..."'s per one
>keypress. Still did not find a rc5_device number that would produce
>keypress events (besides some random "generating keypress"), tried with
>unpatched and patched code.

Are you using the remote that was sold with the card or some other
remote? Looking at the dmesg you posted, I think the rc5_device number
of your remote is 5, so could you try loading the module with
"rc5_device=5 ir_debug=1" and alternatively with "rc5_device=255 ir_debug=1".

Should that not work, then you could also try the same two alternatives
but with ir_debug=0 since the extra printk's can cause the driver to
lose some events.

>On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 19:50:41 +0200 (EET), "Teemu Suikki"
><tsuikki at z-power.fi> said:
>> I have the same card and same driver versions, and it works for me.
>>
>> However, I think that the rc5 autodetect is somehow broken. I manually
>> tried with different rc5_device parameters until it worked. I'm using a
>> different remote (not the technotrend one) so my rc5_device probably is
>> not the same as the original anyway.. But it didn't work with autodetect.

The word "autodetect" might be a bit misleading. It's rather that it is
set to a default value based on which card you have (in your case that
would mean that it is set to the rc5_device of the original remote).

If you want the card to listen to any rc5 code, use rc5_device=255 as a
parameter (note though that it may then pick up unrelated commands from
other remote controls if they are also rc5).

Or you can do as Jouni and load the driver with ir_debug, then press a
few buttons, and then look in dmesg for bytes with a value in the range
0 - 31 (0x00 - 0x1f), that should be your rc5_device number.

--
David Härdeman