[linux-dvb] more than 6 dvb cards possible?

Janne Grunau janne-dvb at grunau.be
Wed Feb 14 13:36:14 CET 2007

On Wednesday 14 February 2007 13:09:33 Ali H.M. Hoseini wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've searched this mailing list, and internet, and found that is
> possible to have 6 dvb cards simultaneously with newer linux kerenls.
> But is it possible to have more than 6 dvb cards? for example 8 dvb
> cards?

Eight adapters should work out of the box. More adapters may work if you
increase the DVB_MAX_ADAPTERS define in
drivers/media/dvb/dvb-core/dvbdev.c.

Applications may have their own limit. MythTV for example has also a
limit of 8 DVB adapters per backend.

> I've an industrial pc from icp electronics that lets me to install up
> to 13 pci cards. ( It has active backplane).

Please note that more than ten typical DVB-S or DVB-C multiplexes
(~50mbit/s) may saturate a single 32bit/33mhz PCI bus. I hope that they
use more than one PCI bus for 13 slots.

HTH Janne