[linux-dvb] Re: RFC: MPEG encoding and decoding V4L2 API additions

Mauro Carvalho Chehab mchehab at infradead.org
Sat Feb 17 13:47:55 CET 2007

Em Sáb, 2007-02-17 às 06:05 +0100, Oliver Endriss escreveu:
> Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> > Currently, it seems that the only driver at kernel using DVB mpeg ioctls
> > is av7110. This hardware seemed to be discontinued by Texas, and is
> > lacking a proper maintanership (there are some pending bugs on bugzilla
> > waiting for someone to deal with).
>
> Sorry, if you want better maintainership you have to find someone else.
> I'm doing this in my spare time and I'm not willing to spend more time
> with DVB stuff.
Oliver,

I'm deadly Sorry about that. I did some confusion about this driver's
Maintainership.

I've mixed two different subjects. The Maintainership trouble we have is
with pluto driver. Obi answered, after asked about bugzilla 7473, that
he is not capable of maintaining this driver for a foreseeable future.

> Since the DVB drivers have been added to the kernel, I'm busy reading
> tons of mail messages, asking people to provide 'Signed-off-by' lines
> and other crap. I will not add bugzilla to this list.
>
> Professional support requires time. Unfortunately, I have to work to
> earn my living...
We all have those troubles. I think most of the V4L/DVB maintainers
(including me) do this for free.

Anyway, the focus of my comment is about using it on ivtv.

Only av7110 seems to currently being using dvb encoder/decoder API (and,
according with wiki, this chipset is discontinued). I didn't intended to
complain about av7110.

The point is that we need to add a similar API to ivtv driver. Does
encoder/decoder API fit on the needs of ivtv driver? If so, ivtv should
use it. Otherwise, we need to expand it to the newer needs.

Cheers,
Mauro