[linux-dvb] How does bad reception influence quality of macroblocks?

Richard Scobie r.scobie at clear.net.nz
Sun Feb 18 19:45:22 CET 2007

Luca Olivetti wrote:

> These values are useless anyway: no driver (or at least none of the one
> I looked at to write my own) complies with the specification of the api,
> so the magnitudes aren't comparable between one card and the other. In

I disagree with "useless". Certainly the absolute values are incorrect
unless the system is correctly calibrated.

However, this does not prevent one from working on the basis that
anything higher than 0 is less than optimal and by adjusting dishes,
antenna, replacing faulty cables etc. to reduce the values present, is
very worthwhile.

> As a side note, the api spec says that unc should be cumulative during
> the lifetime of the frontend, so this driver (and probably most others)
> is wrong, since the value cannot go back to 0 after being 13.

This would explain the anomaly.

Regards,

Richard