[linux-dvb] Missing dependencies in *.ko files

Trent Piepho xyzzy at speakeasy.org
Mon Jan 8 11:59:39 CET 2007

On Sun, 7 Jan 2007, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> If I use the latest driver from http://linuxtv.org/hg/~endriss/v4l-dvb-av7110-refactoring
> there are apparently dependencies missing in some *.ko files, so my script
> can't find out which additional modules to load.
>
> For example, /sbin/modinfo -F depends dvb-ttpci.ko returns
>
>   dvb-core,saa7146,i2c-core,saa7146_vv,dvb-core,ttpci-eeprom,firmware_class
>
> while in the driver version as of 2006-11-04 it returns
>
>   dvb-core,saa7146,stv0299,i2c-core,saa7146_vv,dvb-core,ttpci-eeprom,ves1x93,stv0297,sp8870,tda8083,ves1820,firmware_class,l64781,lnbp21
>
> Is there something wrong, or am I missing something here?

There is a new system called dvb_attach() that makes those front-end module
dependencies dynamic.  They don't show up in the list of module
dependencies from modinfo and don't need to be loaded before the module is
loaded.  Instead, dvb-ttpci will dynamically load the front-end modules
that it needs, and only the modules that it needs for your particular card.

If you are trying to auto-load the modules without installing them you can
disable dvb_attach and get static dependencies back.