[linux-dvb] Re: Unbranded USB DVB device afatech af9005

Luca Olivetti luca at ventoso.org
Thu Jan 18 17:42:04 CET 2007

En/na Andrew Leech ha escrit:

> Hi Luca, All,
> I'm attempting a port of your driver to the AF9015 chip, and slowly
> making progress. Just for reference, I've never written drivers for
> computers before, pretty much all my programming experience is in
> embedded stuff, it's much simpler there.
>
> My biggest stumbling block at the moment is the firmware file. How did
> you know where to extract the firmware from (af9005.fw &
> af9005-script.h)? Was it simply through the documentation you were
> given, or was it through windows snooping?

both: from the documentation I knew the firmware download sequence, I
also had the firmware in a firmware.h file. Since it wasn't working I
did some snooping and got the firmware downloaded under windows (which
is different that the one that came in the documentation). The same can
be said of the register initialization sequence.
I have some rough python scripts to decode the windows snoop file, but I
think they're af9005 specific.

> I've sent Afatech an email asking for access to documentation on this
> newer chip, no reply yet, so just working with what I've got. This chip
> is at least somewhat different to the 9005, as simply adding the PID/VID
> of my device into the driver didn't work, I get a "af9005: boot bad
> config header." An extra err printout tells me that the buff[2] value
> that gives the "boot bad config header"  is 0x0 when it should be 0x11
> for your driver.

I'm Bcc'ing my contact at afatech, he's been very helpful so I hope
he'll contact you privately.

Bye
--
Luca