[linux-dvb] af9005, remote with lircd

Andrew Leech andrew at floppyspongeonline.com
Sun Jan 21 23:40:20 CET 2007

Luca Olivetti wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I looked at the other usb drivers and all of them get a decoded key
> from the adapter, so they just map the code to a keypress and put it
> in the input device.
> OTOH the af9005 doesn't decode the ir data, it just gives the length
> of the spaces/pulses. I decode them in software (with the codes of the
> remote that came with the stick) to do the same that the other drivers
> are doing (i.e. emulate a keyboard).
> Now I wrote another rather simple module that just passes on the raw
> data as a lirc device for lircd to decode, so in theory it should work
> with any remote.
> It seems to work fairly well (I tried with a lircd.conf that I'm using
> with lirc_serial and recording the "stock" remote with irrecord).
> The problem is that it needs lirc, which isn't included in the stock
> kernel, so I don't know if it can be integrated in the linux-dvb driver.
> Comments, opinions?
>
> Bye
Hi Luca,
I _love_ the sound of that. Hopefully the AF9015 I've got does the same
thing, because that would be ideal for me.
The remote that came with my dongle is  a pathetic little thing, which
renders the remote functionality of the dongle useless, unless it can be
used as a generic lirc device which would mean I no longer need a
separate serial lirc receiver.
I personally feel that letting lirc do what it's good at is a much
better way to set up drivers/system if at all possible, especially as it
gives flexibility to use whatever remote you like.
It really isn't a problem that you need lirc, as most of the time you
use it anyway for remotes. Even when the remote gives a /dev/input
keyboard like functionality it's common to use lirc to then set up the
keys how you want.

*Andrew Leech

*

This message and any attachments may be confidential.
Please notify the sender immediately if you received this message in error.
Please do not delete or alter this notice.