[linux-dvb] removal em28xx from linuxtv.org

Markus Rechberger mrechberger at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 16:45:58 CEST 2007

On 6/30/07, Oliver Endriss <o.endriss at gmx.de> wrote:
> timecop wrote:
> > Hey guys, stop beating dead horses and finding scapegoats.
> > Whatever excuses you're going to find post-fact isn't going to change
> > the fact that HE now has working code with functionality better than
> > the broken crap currently in linux-dvb, and YOU don't. Users (what
> > little of them Linux still has) usually want stuff that WORKS, and
> > they don't give two shits about HOW it works underneath. So when you
> > stop accepting working solutions because of some bullshit
> > political/etc reason, everyone loses.
>
> Exactly! People need working drivers! And they don't want that drivers,
> which are in in the kernel for a long time, will be broken in the next
> kernel release. That's the reason why I nack'd this patch bomb.
> No other reason!

The same reason why hotplugging has been broken for years (which
resulted in a kernel oops) and the same reason the em28xx code was the
reason why this issue got fixed probably. There are other bugfixes in
that repository too.
I'd appreciate if you could make your homework first and seriously try
to help to get things to a happy end ... unfortunatelly the train for
the em28xx project already left, so it's better to look at other
outstanding problems of the v4l/dvb project I'd seriously appreciate
if someone could fix the DVB usercounters and make them more
consistent instead initializing some of them with -1, -2 or other
values.
Investigating the current code sheds alot light about outstanding
parts and bugged and seriously bad written drivers. (Of course not
everything is bad but there are still many parts which have to be
improved)

thanks,
Markus