[linux-dvb] [Em28xx] MPL-licensed V4L kernel modules (em2880)

Aidan Thornton makosoft at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 10 13:53:17 CEST 2007

On 7/10/07, Markus Rechberger <mrechberger at gmail.com> wrote:
> em2880-dvb and xc3028-tuner are not derived from v4l code; em28xx is
> derived from GPL code but worthless without the other files. Also
> people can write whatever they want as long as they don't compile it
> and fact is that the code is still available.
> Don't compile it against v4l-dvb and it's fine..
> I can have whatever sourcecode I want to have on that server.

I suspect there are all sorts of interesting legal issues here. In
particular, the GPL is intended to cover entire works - relicensing
individual source files in a GPLed piece of software in a
non-GPL-compatible way when those files are intended to be combined
with other source files which are still GPLed is a grey area at best.
Since I'm not a lawyer, and I can't afford to hire one, this makes me
want to not touch this code with a bargepole. I suppose I could always
fork the GPL-licensed version, but getting it to compile with new
kernel releases would be a real pain.

(Incidentally, I assume that, since you say that "em2880-dvb and
xc3028-tuner are not derived from v4l code", you rewrote em2880-dvb
from scratch at some point. It certainly looks that way, but I know
that I did have some code in em2880-dvb at one point.)

> I'd appreciate if you could stop having useless discussions, a few
> linuxtv people proved it during the last year that they aren't capable
> of participating from the beginning on or helping at all to get
> forward, so I'd appreciate if you could just shut up and wait for the
> endresult.
> Not everyone might know why I did that, people who participated at the
> merging requests are responsible for that.

Basically, I'm left without a working, maintained, legally sound Linux
driver for the hardware I'm using, through no fault of my own (except
perhaps relying on an out-of-tree driver by someone who turns out to
be unable to co-operate with the v4l and dvb developers).

PS. Sorry for the semi-duplicate email; accidentally forgot to send to list.