[linux-dvb] [Em28xx] MPL-licensed V4L kernel modules (em2880)

Alasdair Campbell ragawu at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 16:48:36 CEST 2007

On 11/07/07, Markus Rechberger <mrechberger at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would appreciate if you could stop spamming the em28xx ML since I
> prefer to use it for relevant issues; Currently there are around 200
> people registered most of them aren't interested in internal linuxtv
> issues.

As an outsider to this discussion - but nonetheless an interested
party - I find this sort of approach really dispiriting. Do I have to
point out that you yourself have been CC'ing the em28xx ML right up
until this very last post?

Accusing anybody of "spamming" on a subject this important to all
parties - the licensing - serves very little purpose whatsoever, other
than inflaming emotions, and nobody wishes for that.

as a postscript..
On 2007/7/10, Markus Rechberger <mrechberger at gmail.com> wrote:
> Stop that MPL discussion, I can put that code offline too and update
> it with some probably nonfunctional code for several devices but it
> won't help anyone in the end - so I won't do it.
> I don't want my work to be stolen by linuxtv people in the end. It's
> too easy to look over the code change a few lines and obfuscure my
> work, remove the copyright and that's what I'm concerned about. I
> wouldn't mind about it if it wouldn't happen with that linuxtv
> community.

You can't pick and choose who receives their rights under the GPL and
who doesn't (surely this is one of the benefits!), you just have to
live with it.