[linux-dvb] Repeated assignment of DVB frontend numbers with multiple DVB tuner cards

Matthias Schwarzott zzam at gentoo.org
Sun Jul 15 22:07:15 CEST 2007

On Sonntag, 15. Juli 2007, pat-lkml wrote:
> subscriptions wrote:
> > I have a Gentoo box running 2.6.21-gentoo-r4 kernel with three DVB cards
> > (four tuners) in it.
> >

> > Making the nxt6000 module not load automatically would be the easiest,
> > but neither the blacklist method not renaming the file seems to work.
> >
> > Are there hidden options available when loading the modules??

It seems necessary to get some ways to load dvb modules in fixed order, or a
least number the dvb adapters consistently.
1. add option like alsa: index=#
2. just load modules in correct order
3. Do some udev rules like it is done for network devices to make them
persistent based on mac-addr.

> > Note: At one stage I had all frontends loading correctly but had to
> > reload Linux on the HTPC and now have this issue.
> >
> > dmesg and lsmod output posted below:
>
> <snip>
>
> Under the lasted udev on gentoo(and maybe other distros), modules listed
> in /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-n.m are automatically blacklisted so
> udev doesn't screw up load order.  Simply updating to this should fix
> it.  I'm not sure whether this is in stable yet, however.

Well, it is the ebuild udev-113-r2, and this code just got added 3 days ago. I
doubt that other distos use that, as I wrote this on my own, and did not see
similar stuff otherwhere up to now.
It will not be stable before at least one month.

Matthias

--
Matthias Schwarzott (zzam)