[linux-dvb] Timecop

P. van Gaans w3ird_n3rd at gmx.net
Tue Jul 17 16:52:22 CEST 2007

Michael Krufky wrote:
> timecop wrote:
>> I would like to mention once again that I freaking hate the fact that
>> this list does not modify Reply-To: header.
>>
> [snip]
>> So my question is, why even bother with the Linux driver.
>
> My question to you... Why even read the list?  Why reply?
>
> It's clear that you're not interested in this stuff (or are you?)
>
> Why spend your precious time reading about an operating system that you disapprove of?
>
> I think that you secretly love Linux, and everything that it has to offer.
>
> Either that, or it's your only source of useful information.
>
> -mk

His reply did give me a funny idea though. VMWare and similar
communicate to the host OS through the network, AFAIK. So maybe it would
be possible to write a server-client to make it possible to run the DVB
USB device on a Windows-guest, stream the whole TS over the network to
the host OS and have a little server/client to change frequency and
start/stop streaming. In Linux (or other non-windows host) you would
probably have a virtual DVB device for a client so that it works in any
application.

It's horrifying and nasty, I wouldn't really like to use it myself ATM
(I prefer buying a natively supported device even if I own an
unsupported one already), but if there really wouldn't be any other way
(e.g. no hope for a native driver), it may be an option to some. Or as a
temporary solution until there's a driver (just like captive NTFS was
until there was ntfs-3g).

P.