[linux-dvb] question about the zap utilities ,,, why so many?

Johannes Stezenbach js at linuxtv.org
Sun Jun 3 21:52:01 CEST 2007

On Sun, Jun 03, 2007, CityK wrote:
> So there is:
> - zap ... intended for developers
> - azap ... for ATSC and N.A dig. cable (STCE 07)
> - czap ... for DVB-C
> - szap ... for DVB-S
> - szap2 ... for DVB-S2
> - tzap ... for DVB-T
>
> Is there any technical reason why these 6 utilities aren't blended
> together into a __single__ comprehensive tuning app ... say, "zaptune"
> or whatever, for example?

Well, I wrote szap at a time when the DVB API only supported DVB-S
(for the first generation av7110 based Siemens/Technotrend/Hauppauge
DVB-S cards), because I needed it for my work at convergence integrated
media GmbH. The S in szap was supposed to mean "simple". It started
as a really tiny testing tool.

Later Holger added tzap and czap. Needless to say that I would've
integrated T and S support into szap right from the start, but there
was nothing I could do about it.

So there's no technical reason, it's just a historical artefact.

HTH,
Johannes